Monday, February 3, 2014

Romero.

How can such things exist. I don’t understand it and the fact that it’s reality enrages me. How can such injustice go unnoticed and undealt with. People stripped of their dignity and their freedom to truly live. Instead fear is drilled into their heads to the point that they can do nothing apart from that fear. And these tears well up in my eyes and threaten to cascade down my sheltered cheek, but in the end, at the end of the day, do my tears accomplish anything?
Stripped of the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Stripped of security and left completely vulnerable, caught in the midst of a war between the corruption of a government and a people of guerillas seeking their definition of justice. But either way they are caught in the middle and this fight has cost so many lives. They cannot walk down the road without the threat of death.
The stark contrast between they who govern and those who live and suffer. Those in charge who have been given the responsibility to govern a country are completely oblivious, whether by choice or not, to the reality of the people who are rotting under their nose. How the stench does not affect them, I do not know. How they can put their handkerchiefs up and pretend it’s not there, that life is a rainbow and perfectly fair causes fury to pulse through my body. It is injustices like these that ought to bring me to my knees and move me to action, but in this moment all I can say is that hearing these stories brings rage and indignation that races through my veins, filling my heart with blood that I don’t often know.
After watching that movie I must say those feelings I’ve felt have been bottled away for quite some time. While I hate the reality, part of me likes feeling those feelings of such intensity. But I hope that I do not stay the same. I hope I cannot remain the same. For I see the injustice, I see the pain, I see the hope of restoration, and I can sit by and watch things burn or I can be a part of the solution, an instrument of that healing, by the grace of God. And I pray that’s the case.




It reminds me of my brother’s song:
And we wonder and wonder why, all the white men they do is they lie
We were here first but then you told us that we should leave, it’s your Manifest destiny to cut down the trees. You had guns we had bows and you brought your disease, Took our mother earth and you just did what you please
then you just did what you please
 And they take and they take and they take every treaty they make well they break
And we wonder and wonder why, all the white men they do is they lie
The white men took all the best land and gave us the rest, then they took all of that and sent us to the west,
on a trail of heartache and death, they marched us we never could rest, on a trail of heartache and death. we solemnly marched to the west
The white men said they’d give us our freedoms, been 200 years, we still ain’t received em
 Startin to not believe them, all they talk about is their damn freedom, who was here first? we’re the natives, but defeated. Brought their filth, destroyed our garden of Eden.
Been paved over by the white demon. We call you the white demon, we call you the (I am a) white demon…


No comments:

Post a Comment