Monday, August 24, 2015

Swing. from February

Humanity. We swing back and forth on this great pendulum of the grandest grandfather clock you could imagine. From an egocentric, ethnocentric, self-consumed pride that says my life is the most important of all those alive and my decisions will ripple across space and time, so I must live it to the fullest and focus on everything I’m doing and the choices I make so that I can leave the impact and take the pressure of world change.
Then the pendulum swings to the other side, the selfless side. The dispensable side that says my life is just one in billions. It does not really matter how I live or what I’m doing, as long as I’m seeking to touch those closest to me. Life would go on just the same if I were gone, so I can live freely seeking to humbly live in a selfless way. My decisions aren’t a big deal, for trillions of people across space and time have made decisions and they don’t carry that far, so live freely and know that even if I weren’t here, God’s will would be done.

So which is right? We see one thing, then another, and we struggle deeply to settle somewhere in-between. Certain events will push us to one side or the other, different pressures coming from culture and friends, from nature and the like. It’s a struggle to see where we are headed and what’s going on as we push forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment