Friday, July 10, 2015

August Rush.

August Rush
June raced by, July’s whizzing by, and Augusts rushing.
It’s easy to get lost in the way time is flying, to forget where I am or what I am doing.
It’s easy to get so caught up in the planning (or seeming lack thereof), counting down the days until I know what’s to be done.
It’s easy to become focused on the things I do wrong, the ways I need to improve, and how to become spiritually strong.
But today I resisted. I resisted the temptation to let this day rush by right in front of my eyes. Instead I slowed down and listened.
A solo journey to the embassy turned into an adventure, my senses alive, determined to capture something new. And I became August.
As the subway rushed along the track, as the cars rushed the street, as the people rushed up the stairs, stomping their feet, as the horns blew, and the trash did too, I listened.
As the smells mixed, some good, some bad, some powerful enough to asphyxiate even the strongest of people, I smelled.
As the birds chirped, as the wind blew, as the people talked, my ears captured the sounds, mixing them together to create a song, a song that cannot be bound by words.
As I used my senses, I heard music, a symphony, one that surpasses any that I’ve heard since I’ve been alive. Natural and raw, the music rang in my ears, a smile spreading across my face, my senses engaged and mind flowing.

As I walked along today, I slowed down and became August Rush.
And boy, was it a rush.

No comments:

Post a Comment