Sunday, December 25, 2016

False dichotomy

I admit it. And if you know me you probably already know it. I used to idolize the “spiritual,” disregarding everything that is “natural.” In my mind there was a false dichotomy that controlled my priorities and caused me to feel guilty for doing something that gave simple joy to me. I used to think the only way to truly serve God was in another country, in a place where you’re uncomfortable and must trust him to see. You must give up all and move across the sea. But as I’ve grown, as I’ve taken part in the distant unknown, my eyes are being opened to the fact that it’s not about how far you go, not even how uncomfortable you are. For the Lord uses our gifts and passions to bring us near to those who otherwise wouldn’t know what a Christian is. As we delight in him, he gives us the desires of our heart, not because he’s a celestial vending machine, but because delight in him means dependence, and dependence means growing a heart similar to that of Christ. Our desires become his and we begin to see with his eyes those who I’d otherwise overlook due to my dichotomic pride.
As I’ve lived abroad for some time in order to love, serve, and grow, I’ve gained great respect for those who stay at home, for those who work in a company or in an office answering phones. Those people have great courage, the Christians that are there, for they have an opportunity I would never have to get to know their co-workers and bond on a level I couldn’t dare to imagine.
I used to think because I liked making music but followed Christ, I would have to give it up and focus on the “important things” and pay the price. But that couldn’t be further from the truth. Musicians have a sphere of influence with other musicians. Dancers, even break dancers, with other dancers, accountants with the office, mothers with their children and other mothers around. Students with their classmates and teachers, restaurant workers with their guests.
Who am I to say that one profession is more spiritual, “better” than the rest? No, instead I’m beginning to see the beauty in living fully were you are. Could God call any one of us to give up all and follow him somewhere unknown? Yes. Does he use those who have gone across the sea? Yes. But does that mean that they are more “holy,” more “spiritual” than the rest? No. For it’s not a test.
There is no dichotomy. Instead we are made one. Heaven and Earth united through a small child. And now we can fully be ourselves in Him. Whether it be a missionary or one who checks people out at the local store, we serve the same God. And that God isn’t limited to what our minds conceive.

He’s given us passions. He’s given us talents. He’s given us dreams and desires. And he uses those things to love his people and change the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment