Friday, September 4, 2015

When I'm gone.

You never know what you got till it’s gone. I’ve always thought that was a shallow, cliché, overused saying, but now I’m beginning to understand it’s depth. How we take things for granted until the moment we realize we are losing or have lost them. Or even are temporarily separated from them.

Relationships. Meaningful conversations. True friendships. I guess I never realized how utterly valuable they are. I never recognized how beautiful they are. I never internalized how rare they are. It’s easy to pass day after day together, living life together, but when you’re separated, distanced, you begin to miss each other. You begin to see the life that springs up from the well of deep friendships. Your ears long to hear the sweet sound of their voice and their words, both kind and, at times, harsh. Your eyes long to see the smile of one who knows and understands who you are and what you think. Your heart longs receive the acceptance, acknowledgement, and affirmation of who you are. When absent, you begin to wish for the presence of ears that really care to hear what you have to say. To hear your heart. Your victories, your struggles, your unanswerable questions. You begin to miss those who have walked with you as you’ve experienced all that life holds. When their hand slips from yours as the oceans keep you apart, when their life moves forward in your absence, when you no longer have that kindred spirit to share all things with, you feel it. And you miss it. And there are times, moments, that I’ve felt that deeply since I’ve arrived. So I now vow to re-read this message to myself every so often so as not to forget to cherish and recognize the meaning and magnificence of what is before my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment